Tick paralysis in dogs results from a toxin that is given to them from a tick that bites them. The toxin that the tick gives off will cause symptoms to come out with in two to seven days of discovering them then after that it is just a matter of taking care of the symptoms as you notice them. It's hard to help your dog unless you take him to a vet. A vet may be able to calm your pet down long enough to look at them and tell what is going on. The paralysis starts from the back at the butt and works it way towards the head with in hours of receiving the toxin from the tick. Symptoms may occur such as hypoactive reflexes or non-active reflexes can occur and of course you really don't know that they have this paralysis for up to a week because it could take that long to take affect.
Tick paralysis in dogs can occur from the tick having the toxin in its body when it's feeding on a dog skin. The tick is like the mosquito for humans and is very itchy until it comes up and usually about the only way to kill a tick is to burn the head off with a lighter. This will keep it from getting back onto the dog or keep it from trying to come back alive after you try to kill it. The paralysis is bad because research that has been done has been shown to say that there have been 43 ticks that have been implicated in diseases in humans and so if there is that many that are implicated in humans there are bound to be just as many for dogs.
This is why it is important to catch it early if you recognize the signs and symptoms of your dog and one way to do this is to recognize and know your dog on the days he feels good and understand what those symptoms are of him feeling so you can decide if he feels good or if he is sick.